7.07.2015

Funeral Home

When Asher passed away a family friend took care of the funeral home details. They owned a funeral home in California and they took it upon themselves to contact one in Georgia and made the arrangements and even paid for the cremation. I think my dad was the one that picked up Ashers remains, I don't have the clearest memories around that time. Somehow I know they ended up at mom and dads house and we didn't feel ready to get them for quite awhile. At that time I was very thankful for the love people showed with amazing gestures like this one. In the last few months I have come to realize how far short those feelings fell.
A couple of days ago I went to the funeral home and got Paxton's remains. I had been putting it off for weeks. I knew that I did not want to bring Avery and North. I also knew that I did not want to go alone. It worked out that I had a car appointment for a recalled air bag so I had to be in town alone. Heather could not come with Indy because we did not know how long we would be waiting and that just is not a good idea with heart monitors and feeding and everything. So I went alone. I felt sick for days leading up to it. I went and got a haircut before I went to the funeral home. I needed a haircut, but it also felt like I needed to stall, to push the inevitable back as much as possible. When I called to ask if I could come by they asked how soon and said five minutes would be fine. They showed me into the waiting room and I waited, for about fifteen minutes. After that the very gracious gentleman that I had been dealing with from the beginning came in looking stressed. He told me the plaque was not ready yet. I told him we had not ordered anything extra for Paxton. He then realized he had me confused with another family who had also lost a twin, I guess they came in a day after us. A few moments later I was standing outside with a tiny white box, plastic with a label, Paxton Bridge Lilley. What do you do? Standing there in downtown Redlands, 100 degree weather, the impossibly small box in your hands, and a car appointment to make in ten minutes. I made it to the car with just tears on my cheeks. Once inside the car I was sobbing uncontrollably. I have never personally seen anyone driving around weeping, but I know it happens, at least it did happen.

I spent the rest of the day with a thousand yard stare on my face.

When I got home I put the tiny box in my pocket and brought it inside to put in a safe place. I did not want the kids to see it and ask more questions. I already had that conversation with them when they asked me, "what will they do with Paxton?". How do you explain cremation to an 8 and 10 year old? I stalled on that discussion too. I called my dad to see what he thought I should say, like he always does he had good words.

That's about all I can say about that day.


1 comment:

Eugenie Mary said...

I am blessed to hear this very intimate part of your heart and life. Somehow it makes me feel like I'm helping to carry the weight, just by knowing. Just by loving. Just by caring.
I will always be a protective mom, and so, I hate that you have had to live this moment (and many others) but, I know too, that in my own life these are those moments that give us need for His comfort. And His comfort is what gets us through it, and helps us to comfort others in His name.