7.25.2009

Asher has been gone four years


Warning: this post is not hopeful, not complete, it is broken. It might make you sad, though that is not it's purpose. I have tried so many times to write about the night Ashed died and sometimes I have put a great deal of words down on the page, other times only a few, always to be thrown away shortly after.






July 26th 2005


When Heather first found Asher not breathing and called me from the front room I was asleep. I woke up immediately and by the tone of her voice that something was very wrong. I pulled him out of his crib and started giving him cpr, shouting at Heather to call 911. I gave him cpr for 12 minutes before the ambulance arrived and the paramedic came in and took him in her arms and out of our little apartment.


The first hospital we went to was the wrong one, our little boy was not there. I was standing in an emergency room in the middle of the night with my crying wife and we did not know where our son was.


I remember when we finally found the right place a detective came in and asked us a bunch of questions, his tape recorder held out to catch our every choking word. He was doing his job, that night his job was to find out if we had something to do with what happened.


When they decided to transfer him to another hospital that specialized in infants I remember sitting in our car and watching as they put him back into the ambulance and started driving away. I watched as one of the guys who was standing outside noticed us waiting there, he tried to signal the ambulance driver to turn on his sirens, the driver didn't see him, I saw the concern in the other guys face, I understood he wanted them to turn on the lights and sirens, but only for our comfort, not because he thought our boy could be saved if they drove faster. We followed that ambulance through town, stopping at red lights from time to time.


I remember the doctors face when he told us that Asher had no brain activity, that when they removed his breathing tube he would not start breathing on his own. I remembered the moments after we had made the decision to remove Asher from life support. I went back into his room to ask the doctors if they could clean up the smear of what I assume was antiseptic around the tape that was holding his breathing tube in his mouth. I wanted him to look as much like our little boy as he could when Heather came in to say goodbye. They said they couldn't do it, they asked me to leave because the were taking a tissue sample from him so they could match him to possible recipients for his little organs that we had decided to donate. I asked my dad to pray over Asher before they took him away, dad cried, he prayed well, though for the first time in my life he did not seem to know what to say. I felt bad for asking him to do that. I remember being told after they took him away that his little organs were so damaged by lack of oxygen that none of them were usable for donating to others. I didn't understand. I don't understand.


If you take anything away from this at all let it be a commitment to learn cpr, I had not been certified for years and could hardly remember what to do, I always wonder if I could have made a difference, I wonder if I was doing it wrong.

Treasure your family, you never know how much longer you have. So many times as I watch my Avery and North play together I wonder what kind of little man Asher would have been. I can not help but imagine him being a wonderful brother to them both.

I am so blessed to know that Asher is with my Father in heaven now, I try and imagine it, I know I fall short, yet even in my limited imagination it is beautiful, I am blessed.



edit: Moments after I posted this my son North came up and started crawling all over me laughing and hugging and being silly, for a moment I tried to get him to go away because I was feeling sad and distracted, then I realized that he was there to remind me that I REALLY am blessed, so we wrestled and laughed. God is good.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting nole

never second guess your self - you did it right - the heart needs to be pumped and the pressure you applied does the job

I took emt-b just because of what you are saying - I have felt your self doubts but in the end it is in God's hands - His will will be done - we are all going to die - it's just a matter of when and more important - what we will do with the now

I really look up to you and your dad - you guys are great men in God's service

JPH

Emma said...

Brother Nole, you did nothing wrong, you did exactly what God needed you to do in that moment. Iv been thinking about you and your little family a lot this week and have been doing a lot of praying. Your kids are so sweet but there was something so special about baby Asher<3 He was such a blessing to my life while he was here that I cant imagine what you and Heather feel. But know that me and Cody are always here for you guys, our prayers are always with you and w love you deeply and can only trust that God has his arms wrapped so tightly around you because he knows why this happened and that you can make it through this. I love you.

annamae said...

My heart aches for you...
God brought this verse to mind as I was reading your post.
2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

I love you guys

Anonymous said...

i don't have a lot to say, but i love you and heather(and the babies of course) so much and i cherish the friendship that we are building..i look up to you and heather for sticking together when things got worse than anyone could ever imagine..so all this to say i love you, you're a great man, a great husband and a great father!

Jeff said...

And a brave man, for taking the time to honor Asher by this difficult post. We, too, continue to imagine what that little man might look like right about now. We do all kinds of things to settle our minds and give us the courage to face the next challenge, but in the end we can only surrender such moments up to God. I remember the prayer. I remember the phone call. I remember waiting helplessly in the airport on the wrong side of the country. And I will always remember Asher. You have been blessed, and you will remain blessed, because God has chosen you to endure these very trials. We're proud of you and Heather both for how you have persevered through all of this.
We love you both, too.

Dad

Scrawny Tawny said...

The longer I live the more I realize that never were more true words spoken than when Job said "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."

Thank you for sharing this... I know it must have been difficult but I hope that it gives you some healing. Your little boy was a gift as are all good things in life. Someday we will know why some are taken home too soon, but in this life we have to trust that God has a good purpose for us.

I guess I just want to say that I know you did what you could and that I will have to take some kind of class because I relied on Michael for that kind of thing. He isn't here anymore, so now my family's safety is in my hands...

Anyway, you are a good man, Nole and you have a beautiful family. Isn't it nice when God uses the little ones to remind us of our many blessings in spite of our losses... =)